In case anyone is worried that I’m trying to get rid of H. Roberts, please don’t be concerned. I will soon (later today, even?) be recanting on my stance on H. Robert. Then I will take back my recant. In other words, for the next week or two, I am going to be vacillating back and forth on about every issue possible on SOV2. I’m going to become a weeble that wobbles … and will eventually fall down.
I am in need of help, though. My understanding of the pros and cons of the Latin thing (a huge issue with Sr. Fairah) are really limited, and I would be grateful for any insights. Help me: Why would Sr.Fairah eventually become a Latin-in-the-liturgy convert? You can assist in the combox, or emailing sr.fairah at gmail. I don’t check that account often, but will for the next week, in case someone is able to help me. Thank you ahead of time.
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Sister,
I'm not sure what will work for Sister Fairah, but I'll tell you what worked for a friend of mine who was a Latinophobe.
She went to Rome one year and there they said the mass in Italian and, of course, the pilgrims were lost. However, when they got to the Agnus Dei she knew what was going on and could participate.
Although she still doesn't like languages, she now sees the benefits of Latin in the liturgy.
I wasn't worried about you wanting to do H. Robert in, but as always I am wondering what to do with him. Especially as at Halloweeen Che' was planning to put him in the "sanctuary" and light him up.
One way or another, I plan to make October Brain in Jar month.
As for Sister Fairah... I have a plan...
Sister, just get rid of the blonde hair and everything will begin to make sense. One of the biggest awakenings of the holiness of the Latin Mass is how many prayers the priests say at the foot of the steps to the altar as they incense it and pray for the holiness to be able to ascend the steps to go unto the altar of God. It is quite an amazing sight to behold, and speaks of the humility of the priest as he prepares himself to offer the Sacred Mysteries at the Altar of God.
As I recall, Sr. Fairah has some childhood issues connected with Latin--am I right? If so, then I think her conversion might somehow involve dealing with those issues, as well as noticing that:
(1) There's no community like a Latin Mass community! Members--especially women--make a genuine effort to welcome, know, and help one another... And the variety of confraternities create a busy social life outside of Mass. (While liberals preach "community," conservatives actualize it as strongly, if not more strongly.)
(2) At Tridentine Mass, the greater focus on the Real Presence of Christ in the Sacrament (rather than in the community) can make the experience of the liturgy more intense, personal, and...somehow... healing. (At least, this is how I found it!)
...I could see Sr. Fairah gradually beginning to seek refuge in a traditional church rather than in the labyrinth!
ParaGirl:
"Sister, just get rid of the blonde hair and everything will begin to make sense." LOL... thanks.
Your ideas, with Rae's will be in use soon.... :)
Perhaps Sister Fairah could contract (from exposure to H. Robert) a skin disease that prevents her from having contact with other people. Her honest charitable instinct drives her to seek out a church where there is no hugging. Other than the SSLI parish, her only option is a TLM. Arriving early, she walks in to find a bunch of people kneeling before a shiny gold spikey looking thing on the altar. Little does she know, she is at a eucharistic adoration. The Real Presence begins to work on her. Why not let Christ convert Sister Fairah?
Perhaps the skin disease would make all the blonde hair fall out. This would make her reassess her persona related to vanity AND cause her to love the idea of the veil to cover her hideous (to her) hair loss.
She could also learn something EVIL about the labrynth, like that it was actually concocted by men who made "wayward" women publicly walk it with a scarlet A blazoned on their chests or something. That way everything she's always held to be contra patriarchy is actually a lie. She would then naturally wonder if the woman on the bus (?) might be telling the truth.
I absolutely LOVE Fr. Tim's idea that she doesn't at first recognize the monstrance (since she's never seen one) and letting her guard down allows Christ into her heart perhaps for the first time.
Of course, on the REAL SOV2 Fr. will have to conduct an inquisition and really be mean to Sr. for waltzing into the lair of the enemy.
P.S. Che's altar-ego, thanks for the link.
Hah! This is going to be fun to read! I'm looking forward to it! :}
Post a Comment