Monday, September 17, 2007

Che' Spills the Beans

Okay... this is not Che' but one of the "actors" on the Spirit of Vatican 2 web site. In addition to Che' I also play H. Robert Williams and Keith... and every now and then an anonymous poster. Very early on I posted as Maryann McGronk but in general others play the roles of "Father Tim," "Sister Fairah," "Maryann McGronk," "Father Juno," "Father Kane," etc.

I am not the owner of the blog but one of the select few who has been chosen to participate.

About the Blog
Let me confess that this activity often gives me a lot of heart burn because many people mistake SOV2 for a real Catholic church. SOV2 is not an actual place... though sometimes it strikes so close to home that it hurts.

I am very sorry to those people I have fooled. It has never been our intent to trick people. But as a parody/satire you run that risk.

About Me
I am sure there are people who wonder what our actual views are. I am a Catholic. I am not an ultra-traditionalist. I'd like to go occasionally to a Latin Mass, but I'm happy enough with Novus Ordo. In fact I'd like to think of myself as that middle which is trying to hold so that things don't fall apart. But like many, I see that the threat to the church is from the liberal side not the conservative.

About Che'
I love playing the part of Che' because its always fun to play the clown. This is the best role on the blog because I don't have to worry about grammar, punctuation, spelling, or even making sense. As you know Che' (who has taken a life of his own) is obsessed by celebrities and its really the fact that he is so mesmerized by what they do that has led him into this strange world. His problem is he keeps latching on to the wrong trends.

Che's dad is very wealthy and lives in a huge estate in Knoxville. His mom is an eco-nut up in Connecticut. They were divorced and his dad married Brenda. Che has a sister.

Che' really dislikes his dad but is dependent on him for survival (Che's career in beret design never worked out) he only goes to the mansion when his dad is not around. His nutty attempts to make money by various means is due to his desire to break away from his dad, but having never really had to work for anything he always fails. His eco-obsession and interest in social justice is fueled primarily by a need to do what his mom would like and capture her attention. But his mom has no real time for Che'.

Che' was "rescued" by Father Tim who brought him out of a post college depression and gave him a purpose at the new church.

About Keith
Keith is a tick. He was smart enough to escape his white trash background and get to U.T. but he was lazy and dropped out and sponges off of Che'. However, Keith has his good points as he is very loyal to his friends.

About H. Robert Williams
H. Robert obviously represents a kind of evil. He is a theologian who does not believe in God only in the Human Spirit. He represents a kind of secret agenda which is driving Universities. Ever wonder why many lose their faith in college? People like H. Robert who teach comparative religion classes are the reason.

H. Robert is a retired University Professor from Villanoce college who moved down to Norris Lake. He has been married a long time and has a daughter. He and his wife can't stand each other and the daughter hates both of them equally. The daughter, an invisible member of the wider SOV2 community is a militant feminist and gay. She went to Villanoce where she was embittered. Because of him she sees religion as a sham, a hoax, and a refuge for self-righteous hypocrites. H. Robert is proud of her since she "thinks for herself" but finds her company unpleasent. His wife is a martini alcoholic who finds a way of drinking socially even when no one is around. She frequents several bars... but never would be caught dead in Toddy's. She would like to divorce H. Robert but then would lose her position as the wife of a University Professor.

H. Robert is an exagerated character representing the worst aspects of all the people you might encounter at a University. You will notice how he is very careful with his language yet he is also quite confident and does not believe he can make a mistake. However, H. Roberts does get carried away with his own ideas. And, if pressed, his spitefulness will come out.

I do not enjoy playing this H. Robert which is why I tried to kill him off by having him die from drinking a frog potion. But people voted him back on the show. (I voted twice to let him die and once for global warming.)

7 comments:

Sir Galen of Bristol said...

Thanks for writing this, Che! I love SOV2, and I think you guys do a great job with it!

Rebecca Frech said...

I love SOV2! Y'all made my day when you banned me. You do a great job, and the fact that people actually believe you is a testimony to how well done it actually is.

I like H. Robert in the jar. It's funny, but I can see how it could be hard to write.

Keep it up, and good job.

Christina said...

Thanks! I love SOV2 too. What would be really neat is if there was a disclaimer on the SOV2 page (in tiny print of course) so that you could read about the making of SOV2 when things are kinda quiet.

If you don't like doing Robert H., why not draft someone else to do his character?

Che' Lovell said...

Christina,

Good question.

I don't like being H. Robert because he is rather nasty. I hope there really aren't people out there as bad as he is. But I do think that he contributes to SOV2 which is why the blog owner asked me to reconsider killing him.

H. Robert is like a nightmare. There's something in my composition which is saying: this is what you have to deal with - so deal with it. The fact I could put him in a jar and force him to play MegaGodofDeath all day long did make me happy, but he will continue to instruct us like Screwtape.

larsterkhan said...

Your attitude about H. Robert reminds me that C.S. Lewis hated writing the Screwtape Letters. As good and instructive as both characters are I can see where they would be taxing to write.

RobKPhD said...

Keep up the good work.

Most of the time I get a great laugh, but sometimes it is more of a groan because I see some of what I wish I didn't at my parish (ahem, faith community).

Mary said...

I'm still reeling over Che' and H. Robert being written by the same person. Now THAT'S talent!