Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ahem...

OK - I'll get on board in this bizarre reality-blog vs. parody blog blogathon thing. But I'm keeping my trap shut about certain details concerning the creation of the SOV2 blog - what inspired it, for example. Providing too much detail would only serve to increase the likelihood of offending someone I know in real life (hear that, Ché? no hints!)

Which brings me to the ongoing question: how long should SOV2 be kept alive? I have continuing moral qualms about the blog - sure it's a place to exercise creativity (or, more accurately, to watch Che and Maryann and Sr. Fairah exercise their creativity, and try to keep up). But at times there has been a mean-spirited undercurrent of which I am the source.

Further, I continue to have qualms about representing myself as a priest, whether in the Fr. Tim, Fr. Juno, or Fr. Kane configuration. In our age of diminished vocations, there is a sort of "necessary clericalism" that urges me to include all priests, even fictitious ones, within a sort of protective halo. Sure, I have a lot of differences with various clergy, but frankly -they're ordained. I am having enough trouble living my much easier vocation in the secular world.

Anyway, I have thought about giving SOV2 a year to run its course, and have been tempted many times to "do the right thing" and refrain from further blogging. The relevant sections of the catechism concerning scandal (2477-2479) are continuous challenges that all the SOV2 contributors would do well to consider.

9 comments:

Che' Lovell said...

I have tried to respect your wishes to keep the origin of SOV2 and your really real identity secret. To the general public: there is nothing mean-spirited in its origin, but things can be misunderstood.

How long should SOV2 be kept alive? I'm not sure. Maybe until the next Catholic Blog awards to see if there is a nomination.

Father Tim said...

Oh - I don't think SOV2 will be eligible for the Catholic Blog Awards. I think we'd have to be registered with St. Blog's Parish, and for some reason, I don't think they'd accept us (and rightly so!) Plus the competition is daunting. We would clearly be in the comedy blog category, or the weirdest blog category, and I think Curt Jester and Shrine of the Holy Whapping have those categories sewn up.

Where are Maryann & Sister Fairah? I expected to see them over here on the Secret site!

Also, what do you think about expanding the membership. Peter at "With a Grain of Salt" looks like an interesting addition. Or the guy with the "Scorpion Stalking Duck" blog.

We really need someone to play Todd Turk - I've not done a very good job and we've never made Todd a full character. Likewise, after Britnee stopped commenting, we lost one of the early good players.

Your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Maryann has meant to comment but I've been a bit busy. You know, what with all the working, and thinking...and all that.

I think that since there is a disclaimer now which clearly ID's the blog as a parody, it's taken away a lot of the people who commented because they thought it was real...and wanted to give us all a tongue lashing.

That's all fallen off. But there are some who are still looking for what's next, and I think we've stagnated a bit. We need to get back to that original "mission" of the more common "SOV2" parish community.

~ Maryann

Che' Lovell said...

Why would it not be possible to register with St. Blog's? Are we too acerbic? I was hoping to be more zany than nasty with Che'.

I agree with you that the disappearance of Todd Turk has hurt some of the interesting infighting the characterized the early SOV2. I couldn't carry out H. Robert's lawsuit and though Che' became bitter and angry and stormed off when you refused to be relics of his icon that didn't seem to be a popular moment in SOV2 history. But the banners versus the clapping and liturgical dancing was pretty funny.

As to new members, I am all for it. It is hard to carry on with two characters. I find myself concentrating on one and neglecting the other. I am sure teh same is true. But I think Father Tim will always be the favorite.

Father Schnippel said...

OK, so what's the Cincinnati connection?

Che' Lovell said...

Hi Father Kyle,

There is a personal cincinnati connection - but none of the characters are to be understood in any "Cincinnati" context.

There is a Nikki Giovanni thread which runs through SOV2. Giovanni was born in Knoxville, grew up in Cincinnati and at Fountain Square said some words everyone regrets.

Sir Galen of Bristol said...

I'm enjoying the blog; I'll hope you'll keep it up as long as you're enjoying it.

Father Schnippel said...

Regarding Nikki Giovanni's words at the dedication of the new Fountain Square, another priest that lives here at the Cathedral infamously quipped: "We spend $42 million to redo the square, and we dedicate it with a buffoon (Bootsy Collins) and a B***h." Every time I think back to that day, I wonder that this was the best we could do?

Che' Lovell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.